I made it through the weekend, phew! I was much more hungry this weekend than I'd been all week, which was inconvenient considering I have a lot more temptations and not as much to distract me at home (except the previously mentioned yard work...yuck). Anyway, I had to up my intake of the protein supplement to combat the hunger, which worked pretty well. Luckily though, we get to add a few easy to digest grains back into the menu starting tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to some quinoa and wild rice!
Aside from the hunger, this weekend is where I really started to feel the positive effects of the detox from a mind/body standpoint. I'm definitely sleeping more soundly, waking up more easily, and feeling generally more stable from an energy standpoint during the day. I would like to tell you I feel stronger, and I imagine that I do, but right now its covered up with major soreness brought on by an entire day of mulch spreading. I'll get back to you on the improvement in physical strength once that settles back down :)
So friends, things are good! Energy is up, cravings are minimal and manageable, and I swear my body already feels tighter thanks to the absence of bloat and inflammation-inducing gluten and dairy.
As we move towards our last day on Wednesday I'm starting to really think about making some permanent changes in my diet. I'm thinking minimal gluten for sure, and definitely avoiding refined sugar. I don't think I can stay away from meat, all dairy, eggs, or coffee though...but I am committed to being mindful about it.
Dr. Barker recommends a "90%" rule, where we eat well 90% of the time, and then the other 10% is reserved for things like cheese, beer, and fancy $5 coffee drinks . When you really think about it, that is pretty doable I think.
So, between now and Wednesday I'm going to identify what exactly my on-going commitment to myself is going to be, and will record it here. Seems like a waste of a really good detox to go and add back in all the things that don't make me feel my best!
More tomorrow...time to dream of quinoa now ;)